The extraordinary Mr De Pass
26 Apr 2014 - 21 Jun 2014
De Pass became a discerning art collector who gave generously to museums and galleries at Falmouth, Bristol, Cambridge, Plymouth and Truro, as well as to the National Portrait Gallery, the British Museum and to Cape Town.
Falmouth held a special place in his heart and he regarded the town as his home. He first visited on his honeymoon in 1888 and returned in 1895 when he bought land close to the Falmouth Hotel and built Cliffe House. He was also a lifelong friend and patron of Henry Scott Tuke (1858-1929).
This display features just some of the highlights from the extraordinary gifts he gave to Falmouth, including rarely exhibited maritime prints purchased from an exhibition held at Falmouth Free Library in 1938.
Arnesby Brown A Summer Day
John William Waterhouse RA The Lady of Shalott